It's Your Library; Check it Out!
If you haven’t visited our website in a while, I invite you to do so: https://www.easttroy.lib.wi.us here you will find tons of information about the Library and it’s services, including: the hours we are open, our Covid-19 Library Policy, Upcoming Events, and a scrolling slide which currently contains information about our ongoing Book Sale, and Info about Tax Forms.
If you look under our snazzy logo, you will note (in a gray bar) a series of choices that you can make: starting with “Home” and going all the way to the right hand side of the page to “About the Library.” I would like to focus today on the choice called “Reference & Research.”
If you click on that term, you will get a drop-down that has a choice called “Online Databases.” If you click on that, it will take you to a treasure trove of information, that you as a patron have access to with your Library Card. I’m going to list what is there with a quick thumbnail sketch of what you can find:
- Creative Bug: Provides access to 1000+ online arts and crafts video classes. I believe you can find something for the entire family there and if trapped indoors because of weather or Covid-19 limitations, you have the chance to be creative!
- Automate: has authoritative and up-to-date service and repair information for thousands of domestic and imported vehicles. People often walk in here looking for this kind of information and we refer them here.
- Learning Express Library: has a huge collection of web-based test preparation tools and skill-building materials. This collection includes Career Preparation, High School Equivalency Center, College Admissions Test Preparation, Adult Core Skills, and more.
- Lynda.Com Library: Lynda.com is an online course website offering video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skills. The courses include, Training in Interpersonal Communication, Microsoft Essentials, Photography Skills, and even how to put together a motion picture. The choices here are endless and the learner can move at their own speed through the course.
- Badgerlink: An Online Library which provides information to Wisconsin residents that isn’t available through regular search engines. Newspaper & magazine articles; Health information & medication guides; Tutorials & test prep; and census records are just some of the information you have access to.
- Consumer Reports: Full-text PDF version of the popular consumer magazine.
- BrainFuse: our newest database that contains Live Homework Help, a Skill Surfer (lessons, video tutorials, and practice tests), a Writing Lab, a Language Lab, Virtual Study Sessions, an Adult Learning Center, and so much more.
- Wisconsin Policy Forum: provides you with links to their “Municipal Data Tool;” their “Property Values and Taxes Data Tool; and their “School Data Tool.”
So as you can see, your Library Card provides you with an incredible amount of information in this one small section of our website. I hope you’ll visit and take a look.
In the meantime, it is January and this means snow and cold, so if you get bored and want to go out somewhere, we’re open and would love to see you…stop by and check us out!